Contractors Insurance

Looking for Contractors Insurance in Pennsylvania?

Bowman’s Insurance Group is your local Contractors Insurance expert! We insure many different types of contractors from Landscapers, Electricians, Carpenters, and many more!

Top Coverage Considerations for Independent Contractors

  • Errors and omissions: Professionals offering consulting and advice, including accountants, financial planners, interior designers, and landscape architects, should be mindful of potential liability risks. These risks stem from potential losses that clients may incur based on the recommendations provided by the contractor.
  • Bodily injury and property damage: Contractors who work with heavy machinery and tools, such as plumbers, re-modelers and electricians, need to be concerned with mishaps due to hazards such as power tools, defective machinery and compressed gas.
  • Product and liquor liabilities: Independent contractors who serve food and alcohol at functions need to be concerned with potential injuries and illnesses due to food and alcohol served.
  • Medical and disability: As a contractor, you are most likely not on a group plan to cover your own injuries, which can leave you exposed to a loss of income risk if you become ill or injured.

Who Needs Contractors Insurance?

There are many types of independent contractors in Palmyra, Lebanon, Lancaster, and Hershey PA areas who all need independent contractors liability insurance and other coverage to match their specific risks. Some of the professionals that need contractors insurance include:

  • Independent construction contractors
  • Plumbers, carpenters, electricians and painters
  • Repair people
  • House and carpet cleaners
  • Freelance writers, editors and graphic designers
  • Independent hair stylists, and salon professionals
  • Horse or dog trainers

Don’t underestimate your risk

Getting the right independent contractors liability insurance in place can protect you from lawsuits, mishaps, and third party property damage that can devastate your business.

Normally, you will need a few different categories of coverage for complete liability protection:

  • General liability: The foundation of all contractor insurance coverage is a general liability policy. This coverage will provide two types of protection:
    • Bodily injury: Provides coverage if you or someone you employ causes injury or death to a third party during the course of work. It provides for medical care for the injured person and covers your legal defense if you are sued for damages.
    • Property damage: Provides coverage if you or one of your employees causes damage to property belonging to others. This includes the building or property you are working on or any third-party property.
  • Completed operations/product: Provides coverage in case a project you finished has an issue or causes damage. It can also extend to any products you sell or distribute.
  • Advertising personal injury: Covers the risk of damaging another’s reputation or causing a loss through slander, libel or false advertising claims.
  • Contract liability: This covers you in a contract dispute. It is not always included in general liability coverage so verify that you carry this coverage with your insurer.

The specific independent contractors liability insurance coverage you need will be unique to your business. By working with a knowledgeable agent at Bowman’s Insurance Group, you can ensure that you don’t have critical gaps in coverage that could leave you exposed to expensive legal claims.

Do you need a Business Owners policy?

A Business Owners Policy (BOP) brings the benefits of business property and liability insurance into one.  Let our experienced professionals design a plan that covers you from all the risks unique to your industry and situation.

A business owners policy, or BOP for short, is a combination policy that offers the best of both worlds.

This serves two purposes. It expands the policy to cover risks that small business owners face, and also typically results in a discount on the cost of your insurance.

Normally, this coverage will make sense for you if you have employees. A small business is basically defined as a business that has up to 100 employees and generates about $5 million or less in annual revenues.

Some of the additional coverages that can typically be bundled with a BOP include:

  • Property damage: This insurance covers your owned or rented property if it is damaged. This includes office buildings, storage facilities, warehouses, workshops, or garages. It does not cover commercial vehicles.
  • Business income: This protects you from loss of income if your business is interrupted due to a covered loss. It usually covers income and operating expenses for up to 12 months.
  • Commercial auto: Insures your cars, trucks, vans, specialized trucks or any vehicles used for business purposes.


BOP policies are another way to bring peace of mind to the stress that can be involved with owning a business.  We can help craft a custom policy, just for you and your business.  Another benefit is that getting a BOP policy is usually cheaper than getting separate policies for each aspect of the plan.

We can help design a business owners policy (or BOP) that works best for you and your business. Reach out to get started!

Do You Need Workers Compensation Insurance?

As an independent contractor, you may or may not need to have workers compensation insurance. Workers Compensation regulations are mandated state by state. If you are in business for yourself, and you do not have employees, you are most likely not required to buy workers comp. However, in some states you need to purchase workers comp even if you don’t employ others.

Worker’s compensation covers your employees if they get hurt on the job, in auto accidents while on business, or work-related illness.  We can help you find a plan that fits for you. Workers’ compensation insurance isn’t just a requirement in some areas–it’s an investment in your staff’s security and their ability to keep doing their jobs well into the future.

There are different laws in different states, but usually it states that you must have worker’s compensation insurance for all your employees, and that it pays out if they are hurt on the job. Worker’s compensation insurance will cover medical bills, and other costs, plus some of employee’s lost wages.  If the worst should happen, it can also help with funeral and death benefit costs.

If you don’t have worker’s comp, there can be severe penalties from the state, but that aside it is a way to ensure your staff is protected, and can get back to being healthy and working for your business if anything should happen. Many worker’s compensation policies can help protect you, and help with legal fees if you get sued by an employee over a workplace injury.

These policies can come as stand-alone packages, but you can also add them on to other policies, like business owner’s policy, commercial general liability insurance, and professional liability insurance.

Should You Consider Professional Liability Coverage?

When you are looking for the right contractors insurance for your business, you will have many choices, including whether to buy professional liability insurance, also known as “errors and omission” insurance or “E & O.”

E & O is a liability policy that protects you if you make a mistake that causes a financial loss to a client. Similar to general liability, it will provide legal defense and claims settlements, if necessary.

You may want or need this coverage under the following circumstances:

  • You provide professional advice in your line of work. This can include everything from recommending a particular type of plumbing or wiring to providing interior design services.
  • You hire employees or subcontractors who provide any sort of advice or consulting services.
  • Your state requires you to have E & O insurance due to the work you perform.

If you utilize subcontractors, it is a good idea to make certain they are insured with professional liability as well, as they may not be covered by your policy.

How to get started on your quote

To get started on your quote, call our office or click over to our quotes page. Either way we’ll make the process simple!

Would You Like Us To Review Your Policies?

Request Your Proposal Here

Are you ready to save time, aggravation, and money? The team at Bowman's Insurance Group is here and ready to make the process as painless as possible. We look forward to meeting you!

Call Email Claims Payments